Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom responded to the backlash with a post on the company’s blog saying…
Our intention in updating the terms was to communicate that we’d like to experiment with innovative advertising that feels appropriate on Instagram. Instead it was interpreted by many that we were going to sell your photos to others without any compensation. This is not true and it is our mistake that this language is confusing. To be clear: it is not our intention to sell your photos. We are working on updated language in the terms to make sure this is clear.
The language we proposed also raised question about whether your photos can be part of an advertisement. We do not have plans for anything like this and because of that we’re going to remove the language that raised the question. Our main goal is to avoid things likes advertising banners you see in other apps that would hurt the Instagram user experience.
2 Cents: You guys don’t REALLY think they were going to get away with this, right? The instant backlash from the first policy proves that if the plan was, in fact, to pimp everyone’s photos out to the world, they’d have to change it up. We’ve got enough privacy issues as it is dealing with everyday things. I wouldn’t want an app being the next thing on my list of 99 problems, because currently, a b***h ain’t one.
Diversifying Sound Waves & Shattering Barriers.
Music is my RELIGION. – Jimi HENDRIX
- Instagram responds to backlash following controversial policy change, says it will not sell users’ photos (bgr.com)
- Instagram: ‘We Don’t Want To Sell Your Photos’ (Updating) (gizmodo.com)
- Hipsters Rejoice: Instagram Doesn’t Want To Sell Your Precious Photos (cultofmac.com)
- Instagram Blog: Thank you, and we’re listening (shortformblog.com)
- Instagram updates terms, can now sell your photos whether you like it or not (intomobile.com)
- Instagram Assures Users It Will Not Sell Their Photos (socialtimes.com)
Subscribe to The UNDR.GRND
Beginning April 2015 & starting with our March 2015 content, AEMNYC will feature exclusive content for readers who sign up for our monthly newsletter. Signing up for the newsletter will give you the password to use for all exclusive content on the site!
You'll also get a sneak peek of everything coming for the next month!